how to make a sambar recipe | Famous Indian Recipes | veg recipes
June 23, 2015 by Loganayaki Thamilselvan 2 Comments
How to prepare Sambar recipe ?
Sambar recipe is a very popular dish in South Indian cuisine. It is served with steamed rice, idli, dosa and pongal.
- Toor Dal (thuvaram paruppu) – 1 cup
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Small onion- 12 Nos
- Water – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Castor oil – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 spoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chili – 2
- Sambar powder – 1 spoon
- Coriander and curry leaves – for garnishing
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Garlic – 4 nos
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Red chili – 3 nos
Steps to cook Sambar recipe:
- Switch on stove. In a pan add one cup water and allow it to heat.
- Wash the toor dal and pour it to the boiling water and add I tsp castor oil.
- After 10 minutes add turmeric powder and allow it to cook.
- Toor dal becomes mushy. In that stage switch off the stove and keep it aside.
- In the mean time dip the tamarind in water. After 10 minutes extract the pulp and keep it aside.
- Grind all the ingredients for grinding with little amount of water and keep it aside.
- Now, in a pan, add oil and allow it to heat then add mustard seeds and small onion, (for vengaya sambar we use small onions otherwise we use big onion) fry for a minute and then add curry leaves and green chili.
- Now add the tamarind pulp, allow it to boil then add salt, Sambar powder.
- After 5 minutes add the grinded masala and allow it to boil, the raw smell become disappear.
- At last add toor dal and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander and curry leaves.
- This is a plain Sambar recipe; we can use vegetables also like drum stick, potato, carrot beans, brinjal etc.
- More Veg recipes : Palak keerai masiyal | kara chutney recipe | Cauliflower Matar Gravy | Arachuvitta kuzhambu | Vegetable kuruma