Mutton Kulambu, how to make mutton kulambu, Kongunadu Mutton Kuzhambu
November 20, 2016 by Loganayaki Thamilselvan 8 Comments
How to prepare mutton kulambu ?
Learn how to prepare traditional Kongunadu mutton kulambu at home.
- Mutton – ½ kg
For grinding red masala paste:
- Pearl onion (small onion) – 2 ½ cups (cleaned)
- Red chili (long) – 7 no’s
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 piece
- Garlic – 6 no’s
- Ginger – small piece (optional)
- Oil – 3 spoons
For grinding white masala paste:
- Coconut – Grated ¼ cup
- Roasted gram – 2 spoons
- Garlic – 2 no’s
- Water – few drops for grinding
Seasoning for mutton:
- Oil – 4 spoons
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Big onion – 1 sliced
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 2 slitted
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – 2 spoons. (Here I used crystal salt)
- Coconut (Cut it in to small pieces) – 3 spoons.
Steps to grind red masala paste:
- In a pan add oil when it is heated add cleaned small onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Next add garlic, fry for 2 minutes then add fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, cinnamon, red chili and fry for 3 minutes and finally add ginger if u want and allow it cool down.(fry those masala in a medium flame)
- Next grind the masala finely without adding water and keep it aside.
Steps to cook mutton kulambu:
- Switch on the stove, take a heavy bottom pan and add oil, when it is heated add mustard seeds, add onion and fry for a minute then add ginger garlic paste.
- Next add green chili and curry leaves fry for a minute.
- Now add washed mutton and fry till mutton pieces size get increased and colour changed.
- Then add required salt and grinded red masala paste and mix well, fry for 5 minutes.
- After that add water that fully covers the mutton pieces and close the lid.
- Allow it to boil for ½ an hour. (Check the water when it is boiling don’t let them to dry)
- Meanwhile we have to grind the white masala paste, take a mixer, in that add grated coconut ¼ cup , garlic 2 no’s, roasted gram 2 spoons, water few drops, make a fine paste and keep it aside.
- After mutton pieces fully boiled, add white masala paste, coconut pieces, mixed well and boil till the raw smell disappear.
- Check salt and spicy of mutton.(if you want more spicy means add mutton masala powder)
- Now hot and spicy Kongunadu Mutton Kuzhambu is ready to serve.
- Please click here to view mutton gravy recipe
- Use fresh ingredients for good results.
- According to variety of red chili the taste will be changed.