Tamarind Rice Recipe- Famous Indian Recipes – Variety Rice
December 3, 2016 by Loganayaki Thamilselvan 3 Comments
How to prepare Tamarind rice recipe ?
Tamarind rice recipe is a popular dish of South India. Lets see how to prepare it now.
- Any raw rice – 1 cup
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Sesame oil – 3 spoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Bengal gram – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
- Garlic – 3 no’s.
- Small onion – 10 no’s
- Red chili – 2 no’s
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Spice powder – 1 ½ spoons
- Red chili powder – ½ spoon
- Ground nuts – 25 Gms
- Salt to taste
- Water – 2 cups
Spice powder ingredients:
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 spoon
- Coriander seeds – 2 spoons
- Bengal gram – 1 spoon
- Red chili – 6 no’s
- Hing – a pinch
Steps to grind spice powder:
- First heat a heavy bottom pan, when it is heated adds fenugreek seeds fry till we get nice aroma and transfer it to a plate.
- In a same pan add coriander seeds, Bengal gram and red chili. Fry same as the fenugreek seeds, one after another and transfer in to a plate.
- Please cook in low flame, don’t over fry because, it will destroy the taste when it is over fried.
- Next transfer these fried masala in a mixer, now add hing and grind it to a fine powder, and keep it a side.
Steps to cook tamarind rice recipe:
- First wash the rice twice and drain the water.
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes and extract the pulp.
- Now switch on the stove and place a cooker, once heated add sesame oil and mustard seeds when it is splutters add Bengal gram, hing and garlic.
- Next add small onion, fry for a minutes and then add red chili and curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Add tamarind extract, turmeric powder, red chili powder, spices powder, ground nuts, salt and allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Next add 2 cups of water and washed raw rice, allow it to cook, in this time we have to check salt and spicy of the tamarind rice, if you want add it.
- Now close the pressure cooker and allow it to cook up to 2 whistles and allow it to cool down naturally.
- Next mix the tamarind rice well and serve with mango pickle or lemon pickle.
- This is a simple cooking method of tamarind rice in a cooker with less time.
- We can use this spice powder for pickle preparation, vatha kuzhambu recipe and pulikachal recipe also.
- The measurement of Spice powder it yields ¼ bowls, here we used only 1½ Spoons, so transfer remaining spice powder in an air tight container and use it later.
- Avoid garlic and small onion if you used as a prasadam in temple.
- Click here to view Arisi Paruppu sadam recipe
- Click here to view Mint Rice recipe