Ven Pongal recipe, how to make ven pongal recipe, khara pongal recipe
January 12, 2017 by Loganayaki Thamilselvan 3 Comments
How to make ven pongal recipe?
Ven Pongal recipe is a famous south Indian breakfast recipe goes well with sambar and coconut chutney. its also known as khara pongal. learn how to make ven pongal now.
- Raw rice – 1 tumbler
- Split moong dal (Pasi paruppu) – 1 tumbler
- Ghee – 5 spoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ spoons
- Whole black pepper – 1 spoon
- Ginger – 1 piece (minced)
- Green chili – 2 no’s (Chopped finely)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Cashew nuts – 10 no’s
- Salt to taste
- Water – 4 tumblers (Use rice measuring tumbler)
Steps to cook Ven Pongal recipe:
- First wash the raw rice two times in water and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the split moong dal and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes drain the water and keep it aside.
- Switch on the stove place a cooker when it is heated add 3 spoons ghee. when it is hot add cumin seeds and pepper, allow it to splutters.(Don’t over fry the pepper and cumin seeds it will destroy the whole taste of pongal)
- Next add minced ginger, green chili and curry leaves fry for a minute.
- Now add washed raw rice and moong dal. then add required salt and four tumblers water.
- Allow it to boil now check salt of ven pongal and close the cooker and cook up to 3 whistles.
- After pressure cool down, open the cooker and add 2 spoons ghee in a kadai when it is heated add cashew nuts and fry till it become golden brown then pour in to the pongal and gently mix well the ven pongal.
- Transfer the ven pongal in to serving plate and serve with coconut chutney, sambar and gothsu.
- The measurement of water should be measured in rice measuring tumbler only.
- You can also use crushed black pepper and cumin seeds.
- Another method to cook ven pongal is, first cook the raw rice and moong dal in a cooker using ghee and salt.
- After that temper the cumin seeds, pepper, green chili, ginger and curry leaves in ghee and pour it to the cooked ven pongal and mix well.
- Use correct measurement of water to cook ven pongal.