masala vada recipe, how to make masala vada recipe? paruppu vadai
July 30, 2017 by Loganayaki Thamilselvan 2 Comments
how to make Masala Vada Recipe?
masala vada recipe, a crispy and savory deep fried snacks recipe made from chana dal and spices. It is also known as Paruppu vada.
- Vadai paruppu (unpolished channa dal) – 1 cup
- Big onion – 2 no’s medium sized (finely chopped)
- Small onion – 10 no’s (finely chopped)
- Green chili – 1 no
- Red chili – 3 no’s
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 8 pods
- Ginger – 3 pieces
- Fennel seeds – 1 spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 spoon
- Poppy seeds – ¼ tea spoon (optional)
- Cinnamon – 1 piece (optional)
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Water for soaking vadai paruppu
Steps to cook masala vada recipe:
- First soak vadai paruppu in water for minimum 2 to 3 hours
- After three hour drain the water completely and keep it aside.
- In a grinder first add ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, green chili, red chili, salt, curry leaves, asafoetida then grind in to semi coarse batter.
- Now add washed vada paruppu in grinder and grind in to semi coarse batter. (No need to add water).
- In the middle of grinding, check the salt and spicy of vada paruppu batter, if you want add it.
- Finally add chopped small and big onion, coriander leaves then run again 2 seconds.
- Next remove the batter from the grinder and keep it aside.
- Now switch on the stove and place a kadai when it is heated add oil for deep frying.
- Mean while take vada paruppu batter and make a lemon size ball with help of your palm and keep it ready for deep frying.
- Once oil is heated take a ball and press with your palm then immerse in oil for deep frying.
- Wait 5 seconds and flip over other side and cook crispy vada in medium flame.
- When oil is heated then flame should be medium or low to avoid burning of vadai.
- Cook both sides very gently, once it is cooked remove from the oil and put into the kitchen towel or tissue paper to absorb extra oil from the vada.
- Now hot crispy masala or paruppu vada is ready to serve.
- Enjoy this paruppu vadai with tea or payasam.
- If you want the vadai more crispy means add soaked channa dal after grinding vadai batter and mix well.
- Use correct measurement of chopped onion because adding more onion it will spill out in the oil and it destroy the real taste of vadai then it absorbs more oil also.
- More snacks recipes: Murukku recipe | Ragi murukku | Aloo (Potato) Bonda | Ragi vada |