How to prepare Sambar recipe ?
When you think about South indian cuisine you will see Sambar recipe at the top list. Vegetable Sambar recipe is a very popular dish in South Indian Breakfast recipe. This Veg recipe has different variations like tiffin sambar, varutharacha sambar recipe, Kerala sambar, Tomato sambar, kathirikai sambar, vengaya sambar, arachuvitta sambar ect., . Sambar recipe for idli and dosa are worldwide popular. it is served with steamed rice, idli, dosa and pongal. Learn how to make sambar recipe with simple steps.
- Toor Dal (thuvaram paruppu) – 1 cup
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Small onion- 12 Nos
- Water – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Castor oil – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 spoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chili – 2
- Sambar powder – 1 spoon
- Coriander and curry leaves – for garnishing
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Garlic – 4 nos
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Red chili – 3 nos
Steps to cook Sambar recipe:
- Switch on stove. In a pan add one cup water and allow it to heat.
- Wash the toor dal and pour it to the boiling water and add I tsp castor oil.
- After 10 minutes add turmeric powder and allow it to cook.
- Toor dal becomes mushy. In that stage switch off the stove and keep it aside.
- In the mean time dip the tamarind in water. After 10 minutes extract the pulp and keep it aside.
- Grind all the ingredients for grinding with little amount of water and keep it aside.
- Now, in a pan, add oil and allow it to heat then add mustard seeds and small onion, (for vengaya sambar we use small onions otherwise we use big onion) fry for a minute and then add curry leaves and green chili.
- Then add the tamarind pulp, allow it to boil then add salt, Sambar powder.
- After 5 minutes add the grinded masala and allow it to boil, the raw smell become disappear.
- At last add toor dal and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander and curry leaves.
- sambar recipe for pongal is very popular Indian food combination in south India.
- For More veg recipes => vegetarian Recipes
- This is a plain Sambar recipe; we can use vegetables also like drum stick, potato, carrot beans, brinjal etc.
- Having sambar recipe for vada is good combination.
- Preparing sambar recipe at home has slight variation from Hotel sambar recipe.
- Similar Popular Indian Food recipes from Famous Indian Recipes : Palak keerai masiyal | kara chutney recipe | Cauliflower Matar Gravy | Arachuvitta kuzhambu | Vegetable kuruma
Leave a Reply