How to prepare vatha kuzhambu recipe (Karunai kizhangu) ?
vatha kuzhambu recipe is a famous south Indian recipe. Its tasty and easy kuzhambu goes well with hot rice, Idli and dosa!
- Karunai kizhangu (Colocasia yam ) – 7 no’s
- Oil – 2 spoons (cooking oil)
- Small onion- 1 cup (cleaned)
- Garlic – 3 no’s
- Tomato – 2 no’s (medium size chopped)
- Coconut – ½ cup (grated)
- Vatha kuzhambu powder – 4 tsp
- Sesame Oil – 3 spoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Bengal gram – 1 tsp
- Big onion – 1 (sliced)
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Coriander leaves for garnishing.
Steps to cook Karunai kizhangu vatha kuzhambu recipe:
- First soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes then extract the pulp and keep it aside.
- Next wash Karunai kizhangu in running water then remove the skin and cut it in to half.
- Now switch on the stove, place a heavy bottom pan then pour sesame oil and heat it.
- Once oil heated add mustard seeds, Bengal gram, when it is splutter add sliced onion, curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Next add Karunai kizhangu, fry for a minute then add turmeric powder, chili powder and salt as needed.
- Now add tamarind extract and allow it to cook until kizhangu become soft. (Check water level while we cooking Karunai kizhangu)
Steps to cook vatha kuzhambu recipe:
- In a pan add oil, when it is heated add small onion and fry for 2 minutes.
- Next add garlic, vathakuzhambu powder, and fry till we get nice aroma. (Don’t over fry)
- Now add grated coconut and fry for a minute, then add tomato, fry all the ingredients well, now switch off the stove and allow it to cool down.
- Take a mixture grinder and pour the masala, add little amount of water and grind well.
- Check the Karunai kizhangu whether it is cooked well or not, then add grinded masala and mix well.
- Now add required amount of water (kuzhambu consistency) and allow it to cook till the raw smell disappears.
- Check salt and spicy of the kuzhambu, if needed add it and cook for few minutes.
- Now switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Spicy and simple Karunai kizhangu vatha kuzhambu is ready to serve.
- You should cook well kizhangu, because its having itchy property.
- Use coconut oil in your palm to avoid itching problem, while we are cutting Karunai kizhangu.
Karunai kizhangu benefits:
- The cooling effect of Karunai kizhangu can be a cure for Hypertension.
- It is often use as a treatment for piles.
- Karunai kizhangu helps to maintain the hormonal balance by increasing the estrogen level in women. It can relieve the women from pre-menstrual syndrome as well.
- Please click here to view Kara kulambu recipes
- Please click here to view Arachuvitta kuzhambu
Leave a Reply