How to make Mini Sambar Idly recipe ?
Idli sambar recipe and vada sambar recipe are my all time favorite breakfast recipes. Mini Sambar idly recipe is one of famous south Indian recipe we used to have for Breakfast often. its a delicious quick tiffin sambar recipe easy to make and goes well with idli, dosa and Ven Pongal recipe (khara pongal recipe).
For idly batter:
- Idly rice (vellakaran) – 1 kilogram
- Ponni rice – ½ kilogram
- Black urad dal – 175 gram
- White urad dal – 75 gram
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 spoons
- Water to soak and grind idly batter
- Salt to taste
For Sambar recipe
- Toor Dal (thuvaramparupu) – 1 cup
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Small onion – 5 no’s (chopped roughly)
- Water – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1 tea spoon
- Castor oil – 1 table spoon
For seasoning sambar recipe:
- Oil – 3 spoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chili – 2 (slitted)
- Sambar powder – 1 spoon
- Coriander and curry leaves – for garnishing
For grinding sambar recipe:
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Red chili – 2 no’s
Steps to making idly batter for Mini Sambar Idly recipe:
- First soak idly rice in a bowl for minimum 4 hours, same as for black and white urad dal.
- Soak both urad dal separately for 4 hours (add fenugreeks seeds in last 15 minutes either in black urad dal or white urad dal).
- After 4 hours, wash white urad dal two times and keep it aside.
- Mean while take a black urad dal then remove black part of the urad dal and keep it a side.
- Now put both urad dal in to grinder, and then grind up to 20 to 30 minutes till urad dal become fluffy.
- At middle interval add ice cubes instead of water in urad dal it will increase quantity of urad dal and reduce grinding heat.
- Take a bowl pour urad dal batter, and then pour washed rice in grinder and grind up to light semi coarse batter consistency by adding little amount of water(should not add too much water. the batter consistency should be light thick).
- Next mix both urad dal batter and rice batter with required salt and ferment up to minimum 10 hours.
- Once fermentation completed mix again the idly batter very well and pour in to the mini idly plates and cook till it boil well.
- Finally hot idlies are ready to dip in hot and spicy Sambar.
Steps to cook Mini Sambar Idly recipe:
- In a pan add two cup water and allow it to heat.
- At first wash the toor dal then take a sauce pan in that add water and allow it boil now add washed toor dal and add 1 tea spoon castor oil.
- After 10 minutes add turmeric powder and allow it to cook.
- Cook till toor dal becomes mushy. In that stage switch off the stove and keep it aside.
- In the mean time dip the tamarind in water. After 10 minutes extract the pulp and keep it aside.
- Grind all the ingredients for grinding with little amount of water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add oil and allow it to heat then add mustard seeds and small onion, fry for a minute and then add curry leaves and green chili.
- Now add the tamarind pulp, allow it to boil then add salt and Sambar powder.
- After 5 minutes add the grinded masala and allow it to boil until raw smell become disappear.
- At last add the cooked toordal and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Next transfer the Idly Sambar recipe in to serving bowl and add mini idly one by one. (Immerse mini idly with hot Sambar recipe)
- Now hot and spicy Mini Sambar idly recipe is ready.
- More tiffin recipes : Curd Rice recipe | Aval upma recipe | Ven Pongal recipe |
Leave a Reply