Varagu Arisi Ven Pongal – how to make Varagu Arisi Ven Pongal, Kodo Millet Ven Pongal
How to make Varagu Arisi Ven Pongal ?
Varagu Arisi Ven Pongal Also known as Kodo Millet Ven Pongal, varagu venpongal, millet venpongal recipe. Millet recipes are very healthy and this Varagu Arisi Ven Pongal is alternate for Raw rice Pongal. Learn how to make varagu rice pongal with simple steps now.
Ingredients for varagu Arisi Ven Pongal:
- Kodo Millet (Varagu Arisi) – 1 tumbler
- Split moong dal (Pasi paruppu) – 1 tumbler
- Ghee – 5 spoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ spoons
- Whole black pepper – 1 spoon
- Ginger – 1 piece (minced)
- Green chilli – 2 no’s (Chopped finely)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Cashew nuts – 10 no’s
- Salt to taste
- Water – 5 1/2 tumblers (Use rice measuring tumbler)
Steps to cook Kodo Millet Ven Pongal:
- First wash the kodo millet two times in water and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the split moong dal and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes drain the water and keep it aside.
- Switch on the stove. place a cooker when it is heated add 3 spoons ghee then it is hot add cumin seeds and pepper, allow it to splutters.(Don’t over fry the pepper and cumin seeds it will destroy the whole taste of pongal)
- Next add minced ginger, green chili and curry leaves fry for a minute.
- Now add washed kodo millet and moong dal then add required salt and five and half tumblers water.
- Allow it to boil, now check slat of kodo millet ven pongal and close the cooker and cook up to 3 whistles. Allow it to cool down naturally.
- Add 2 spoons ghee in a kadai when it is heated add cashew and fry till it become golden brown then pour in to the pongal and gently mix well the kodo millet ven pongal.
- Transfer the Varagu Arisi Ven Pongal in to serving plate and serve with coconut chutney, sambar and gothsu.
- The measurement of water should be measured in rice measuring tumbler only.
- You can also use crushed black pepper and cumin seeds.
- The kodo millet ven Pongal should be served hot.
- Use correct measurement of water to cook kodo millet ven pongal.
- More veg recipes : tomato rice recipe | Sweet pongal recipe | samai Rice Pulao