Howto make Sorakai Kulambu recipe ?
Sorakkai Kulambu Recipe also known as bottle gourd kulambu. Sorakkai Kuzhambu is a simple coconut based gravy made with Bottle gourd. This Bottle Gourd Kulambu is a delicious and super healthy South Indian kulambu recipe goes well with rice.
Ingredients for Sorakkai Kulambu recipe
- Ground nut oil – 2 spoons
- Small onion – 1 cup (cleaned)
- Garlic – 3 no’s
- Red chilli – 3 no’s
- Bengal gram – 3 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Tomato (Big) – 1 no (chopped)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 2 spoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Big onion – 1 (sliced)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Bottle guard – 1 cup (cut in to cubes)
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Home made chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
Steps to grind masala:
- First switch on the stove and place a frying pan, when it is heated add oil; next add small onion fry for 3 minutes in a medium flame.
- Now add garlic, red chilli and tamarind fry for 2 minutes.
- Next add Bengal gram, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fry till it become golden brown in colour.
- After that add turmeric powder, grated coconut fry for a minute, then add chopped tomato and finally add curry leaves then fry for a minute.
- Allow it to cool down, then transfer in to mixer grinder and add little amount of water and grind well. (Not a fine paste)
Steps to cook Sorakkai Kulambu recipe:
- At first take a bottle guard, peel the skin and cut it in to two parts, then remove seeds in centre part of the bottle guard then cut it to cubes, now wash bottle guard and keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan add oil when it is heated add in mustard seeds and it is splutters add sliced onion and curry leaves.
- Now add cleaned bottle guard then fry in oil for 3 minutes, next add turmeric powder, chilli powder then fry for a minute now add water to cook bottle guard.
- After bottle guard is cooked add grinded masala, salt and water.
- Mix well the Sorrakkai kulambu and allow it to boil for 5 to 9 minutes till the raw smell disappear.
- In this time check the salt and adjust water level you needed.
- Don’t add too much water, maintain kulambu consistency.
- Now hot and healthy Sorrakkai kulambu is ready to serve.
- More kulambu recipes from Famous Indian Recipes : Arachuvitta kuzhambu recipe | Sambar recipe | vatha kuzhambu recipe | Mutton kulambu recipe | kara kuzhambu recipe |
- Sorrakkai Kulambu is a side dish for idly, dosa and white rice.
- Bottle guard is very healthy water vegetable.
10 benefits of bottle gourd
- Ayurveda recommends cooked lauki or bottle gourd for better digestion. It is cooling, calming, diuretic and anti-bilious (reduces bile and stops indigestion). The B vitamins assist in increasing the body’s metabolic rate to better digest fats, proteins, sugar and carbohydrate.
- Like cranberries, bottle gourd or lauki supports the kidneys and the urinary system of our body by reducing burning sensation from high acidic urination. It also reduces the chances of urinary infection because it is alkalizing and has a diuretic effect. Consume if you have high creatine and uric acid.
- A nutritious vegetable for the female reproductive system.
- It is extremely popular for weight loss. Especially the bottle gourd or lauki juice when taken at noon.
- Bottle gourd is extremely popular for reducing high blood pressure and bad cholesterol in some people. However when taking cardiac medications or when the cardiac condition is severe do NOT take lauki as it can create more pressure on the cardiac muscles.
- Lauki or bottle gourd is known to combat excessive thirst in diabetic patients. However do not take if lauki is too bitter or with other bitter herbs.
- The fiber and the minerals in the bottle gourd or lauki supports healthy digestion and combats flatulence (by killing intestinal parasites), constipation, colic pain and ulcer.
- In Ayurveda it is also know to prevent premature greying and improve hair growth. It will NOT change the grey hair to black but will stop more greying as it contain B vitamins and has a cooling effect on the scalp. Grate and apply with yogurt or apply cider vinegar. You can mix my Healthy Hair Mask in yogurt and add lauki in it.
- The Vitamin C and Zinc in lauki prevent pre mature aging and wrinkles as well. Lauki juice can be applied externally for skin care uses such as pimple, acne, dark circle, puffy eyes etc. .
- Bottle gourd is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors for reducing liver inflammation.
Leave a Reply