How to make Thattai Vadai recipe ?
Thattai Vadai recipe is a popular snack that is quite popular in South India. Also known as Thattai Murukku, thattai recipe, nippattu recipe, nippat and Thattu Vadai. We used to prepare this often for Pongal, diwali, Krishna Jayanthi and other festival.
- Ponni rice – ½ kilogram
- Roasted Bengal gram – ½ kilo gram
- Red chillies – 15 no’s
- Channa dal – 2 spoons (soaked in water for 15 minutes)
- Salt as required
- Water to grind the rice
- Butter – 50 gram (in room temperature)
- Oil – for deep frying
Steps to cook Thattai Vadai recipe:
- In a bowl add half kilogram ponni rice, wash twice then soak in water for two to three hours.
- Next take a roasted Bengal gram in a mixer grinder then grind up to light coarse powder. (Don’t grind a fine powder)
- Now take soaked ponni rice and drain the water completely, then put into grinder, now add required salt and water then grind.
- Next grind three spoons of soaked rice and chillies and grind up to semi coarse.
- After five minutes add semi coarse red chilli paste in a grinder then grind up to fine paste like idly rice batter consistency. (at middle of grinding add required water )
- Now take another bowl, pour Thattai murukku batter and then add lightly coarse roasted bengal gram powder then mix well.
- Add butter in Thattai murukku batter and mix well.
- Now add soaked channa dal and mix well the Thattai murukku batter.
- It’s a time to check salt and spicy, if required add it now and mix well the Thattai murukku mixture.
- The dough should be like poori dough consistency.
- Next take a white cotton cloth, spread in reverse portion of any steel silver plate.
- Take a small portion of the Thattai murukku mixture and make a ball and spread in the cotton cloth with help of your palm.
- Make Thattai murukku shape and keep it a plate for deep frying.
- Use same procedure for until all Thattai murukku dough finished.
- Make two batches of Thattai murukku and then mix well the remaining dough to avoid hardness.
- Don’t press much the Thattai murukku ball, just use your palm and finger gently in a Thattai murukku balls.
- Next switch on the stove place a kadai and pour enough oil for deep frying.
- Take a pinch of the dough and put into oil whether oil is heated or not.
- When it is rise up, oil is heated then put Thattai murukku in oil one by one carefully.
- Now wait for 5 minutes then turn Thattai murukku another side then fry till it become crispy. (Don’t burn the Thattai murukku)
- Put the fried Thattai murukku in tissue paper to absorb extra oil and then transfer Thattai murukku in to air tight container after cooled completely.
- Spicy Thattai Vadai recipe is ready to serve.
- Enjoy this Thattai Snack as evening snack with tea.
- Thattu vadai or Thattai are crisp fried rice crackers from Tamilnadu cuisine goes well with variety rice and thayir sadam.
- More Snack recipes from Famous Indian Recipes : Banana chips Recipe | Aloo Bajji recipe | ribbon pakoda recipe | Black sundal recipe | Masala Vada Recipe | Murukku recipe | Ragi murukku recipe
- Main thing to notice here in this recipe is consistency of Thattai murukku dough; it should be in correct consistency like poori dough.
- Here i am used butter; instead of butter you can also use hot oil.
- You can also make Thattai murukku shape in milk cover or plastic cover, it will easy to take Thattai murukku in that cover.
- Another one is careful while taking Thattai murukku from cotton cloth takes gently. (Don’t break that Thattai Vadai recipe shape.)