How to prepare Tamarind rice recipe ?
Tamarind rice recipe is a popular dish of South India. its an easy and quick recipe. This recipe has many name in Tamilnadu like Pulihora, Puliogare, Puliyodharai, Puliyodarai, Pulikkachal, Pulihora and Puliyodhara. Lets see how to prepare it now.
- Any raw rice – 1 cup
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Sesame oil – 3 spoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Bengal gram – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
- Garlic – 3 no’s.
- Small onion – 10 no’s
- Red chili – 2 no’s
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Spice powder – 1 ½ spoons
- Red chili powder – ½ spoon
- Ground nuts – 25 Gms
- Salt to taste
- Water – 2 cups
Spice powder ingredients:
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 spoon
- Coriander seeds – 2 spoons
- Bengal gram – 1 spoon
- Red chili – 6 no’s
- Hing – a pinch
Steps to grind spice powder:
- First heat a heavy bottom pan, when it is heated adds fenugreek seeds fry till we get nice aroma and transfer it to a plate.
- In a same pan add coriander seeds, Bengal gram and red chili. Fry same as the fenugreek seeds, one after another and transfer in to a plate.
- Please cook in low flame, don’t over fry because, it will destroy the taste when it is over fried.
- Next transfer these fried masala in a mixer, now add hing and grind it to a fine powder, and keep it a side.
Steps to cook tamarind rice recipe:
- First wash the rice twice and drain the water.
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes and extract the pulp.
- Now switch on the stove and place a cooker, once heated add sesame oil and mustard seeds when it is splutters add Bengal gram, hing and garlic.
- Next add small onion, fry for a minutes and then add red chili and curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Add tamarind extract, turmeric powder, red chili powder, spices powder, ground nuts, salt and allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Next add 2 cups of water and washed raw rice, allow it to cook, in this time we have to check salt and spicy of the tamarind rice, if you want add it.
- Now close the pressure cooker and allow it to cook up to 2 whistles and allow it to cool down naturally.
- Next mix the tamarind rice well and serve with mango pickle or lemon pickle.
- This is a simple cooking method of tamarind rice in a cooker with less time.
- We can use this spice powder for pickle preparation, vatha kuzhambu recipe and pulikachal recipe also.
- The measurement of Spice powder it yields ¼ bowls, here we used only 1½ Spoons, so transfer remaining spice powder in an air tight container and use it later.
- Avoid garlic and small onion if you used as a prasadam in temple.
- Click here to view Arisi Paruppu sadam recipe
- Click here to view Mint Rice recipe