How to make horse gram recipe ?
kollu paruppu recipe is very famous in Kongunadu. People prefer horse gram for weight loss in ayurveda also horse gram good for diabetes. we used to prepare kollu paruppu recipe often especially to treat cold which goes well with white rice. lets see how to cook horse gram recipe now.
- kollu paruppu ( known as horse gram tamil & kulthi beans in hindi ) – 1 cup
- Water to cook horse gram
- Castor oil – ½ spoon
- Country tomato – 1(big)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ spoon
- Shallots – ¼ cup (cleaned)
- Red chilli – 3 no’s
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Cumin seeds – ½ spoon
- Coriander seeds – 1 spoon
- Coriander leaves – 4 stalks
- Required salt
Steps to cook kollu paruppu recipe in pressure cooker:
- To begin take a bowl add horse gram and wash them thoroughly.
- Switch on the stove place a cooker then add 2 ½ cups of water, ½ spoon of castor oil, ¼ spoon of turmeric powder, one big country tomato.
- Now close the pressure cooker and cook kollu paruppu up to 3 whistles.
- Steps to cook kollu paruppu in earthen pots and normal pan:
- Switch on the stove place earthen pot or steel pan, add 3 cups of water then is hot add in washed horse gram.
- Followed by ½ spoon castor oil, one big country tomato then cook up to 15 minutes
- After horse gram half cooked add turmeric powder then cook until horse gram fully cooked.
Steps to grind kollu paruppu:
- At first switch off the stove drain the excess water in horse gram and keep it aside.
- Next add cleaned shallots, red chilli, curry leaves, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, required salt in cooker, earthen pot or normal pan.
- Leave it all spices for 10 minutes.
- Now take a mixer grinder put all things in to it and grind them as semi coarse paste. (No need to add water if you want add drained water from horse gram)
- You can also add kollu paruppu in Aattu kal and grind well as semi coarse paste. (Taste will be super good)
- Spicy authentic Kongu special kollu paruppu recipe is ready to serve.
- Drizzle some homemade ghee or coconut oil on the top of the kollu paruppu and serve with hot white rice.
Various names of kollu paruppu
- Kollu Paruppu is known ashorse lentil or horse gram, horse gram beans in english (also Cowpea)
- kulthi horse gram in Hindi
- ulavalu recipes in telugu
- It is called as Muthira in Malayalam
- Its botanical name is Macrotyloma uniflorum
- This is authentic Kongu style kollu paruppu; there also another way.
- The only difference is seasoning, after grind the kollu paruppu, take a kadai add some ground nut oil when it is hot add mustard seeds, one red chilli and curry leaves then fry for a second and add kollu paruppu and cook up to 5 minutes. (This process will help to avoid spoilage of kollu paruppu)
- As of now you need kollu paruppu in semi streaming consistency implies include water at that point cook well.
- kollu paruppu in semi gravy is the good texture to eat.
- More vegetarian recipes : thuthuvalai rasam recipe | pirandai chutney recipe | Mini Sambar Idly recipe | Pachai Payaru Paruppu | Paruppu Rasam recipe | murungakkai paruppu recipe
- black horse gram another variety of kollu.
- We can make more than 40+ kollu recipes ( ulavalu recipes – kulith recipes) using horse gram dal.
- horse gram soup
- horse gram juice ( kollu juice)
- kollu chutney
- kollu kanji recipe
- horse gram powder recipe for weight loss ( kollu powder)
- kollu kulambu
- kollu podi
- kollu rasam (i’ll post kollu rasam in tamil soon)
- paruppu thogayal
- horse gram flour ( kulith flour) used for Weight loss Roti Recipe
horse gram health benefits / ulavacharu health benefits / kollu benefits
- Kollu known in english as horse dal, horse gram lentils or horse peas. Horse gram benefits for more people who are following horse gram diet for weight loss.
- Refer this web link for horse gram benefits in tamil : kollu for weight loss in tamil
- horse gram nutrition : Horse gram seed contains carbohydrate (57.2% w/w), protein (22% w/w), dietary fiber (5.3% w/w), fat (0.50% w/w), calcium (287 mg), phosphorus (311 mg), iron (6.77 mg) and calories (321 kcal) as well as vitamins like thiamine (0.4 mg), riboflavin (0.2 mg) and niacin (1.5 mg) per 100 grams of dry matter.
- benefits of drinking horse gram water: Drink the horse gram water twice a day on an empty stomach for weight loss.
- horse gram benefits diabetes : Anti-oxidants help in controlling oxidative stress by scavenging free radicals. He said the study found that raw horse gram seed has the ability to reduce post-prandial hyperglycemia by slowing down carbohydrate digestion and reduce insulin resistance by inhibiting protein-tyrosine phosphatase 1 beta enzyme.
- horse gram and diabetes: This helps to reduce insulin resistance.Hence it is highly used for diabetics.The seed is beneficial for reducing the blood glucose level.It can reduce the digestion of carbohydrate.This leads to lower the blood sugar level.This is used as insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes.Including Horse gram (മുതിര) in your daily food is very effective for diabetics.This can also help to reduce the cholesterol level.
- horse gram benefits for weight loss : Consuming horse gram can help you lose burn calories. Horse gram is low in calories. It can keep your bad cholesterol levels in check and prevent the risk of heart diseases. Also, consuming horse gram will provide you with protein and fibre, which will keep you full for long and prevent you from eating more.
- horse gram sprouts benefits : Doctors recommends having sprouts as a good source of protein and also to cool the body.
- horse gram for hair growth : Drink it horse gram for hair growth once a day when bearable hot. Add 1/4 cup of Horse Gram ( Kulthi in India a pinch of Asafoetida ( Hing in India ) and 2 pinches each of dried horse gram for hair growth Ginger ( Adrak in India ) and Liquorice ( Mulethi in India )
- horse gram for kidney stones ( kulthi for kidney stone): The importance of horse gram was well recognized by folk medicine as a potential therapeutic agent to treat kidney stones, urinary diseases, piles, common cold, throat infection, fever, lowering cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels. Horse gram water was prescribed for treating jaundice.
- flaxseed and horse gram : Flax seed is a seed, while Horse Gram is a pulse. * Nutrient Value of 100 gram of Flax seed is: 50 calories, 20 grams of protein, 41 grams of fat, and 28 grams of fiber. * Nutrient Value of 100 gram of Horse grain is: 321 calories, 22 grams of protein, 287 mg of Calcium, 311 mg of Phosphorus and 7mg of Iron.
- is horse gram good for health : If you are trying to lose weight, you can consume horse gram as much as you want, but remember moderation is the key. Moreover, the high protein and fibre content of horse gram will keep you fuller for a long time.
- horse gram where to buy : its available local stores, super market and even online portals.