how to make tomato chutney recipe ?
Tomato chutney recipe is hot and spicy. It is very easy to make and goes well with most breakfast dishes like idli, dosa, chapati etc., It is also known as Thakkali chutney in Tamilnadu. Lets see how to make Kongunadu special tomato chutney now.
- Bangalore tomato – 5 medium sizes (chopped finely)
- Potato – 2 no’s (cut in to cubes)
- Oil – 3 spoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Bengal gram – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Garlic – 3 pods
- Onion – 1 no sliced
- Red chili – 2 no’s
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Steps to cook tomato chutney recipe:
- In a pan add oil after 2 minutes add mustard seeds, when it is splutter add Bengal gram, asafoetida and garlic fry for 1 minute.
- Next add sliced onion, red chili, curry leaves fry for 2 minutes then add turmeric powder, red chili powder and required salt.
- Now add chopped tomato and potato, fry for 5 to 10 minutes until the tomato become mushy then add water till its fully covers the tomato chutney.
- Now close the lid and allow it cook for 15 minutes. (Check the water level, salt and spicy of tomato chutney, if you want more means add it)
- After water level decreased to half switch off the stove and using churn (matthu) blend well in to a semi coarse texture. (Don’t use blender or mixer grinder use butter milk matthu)
- Finally transfer in to a serving bowl. now hot and spicy Kongunadu style Thakkali chutney is ready to serve.
- Serve with idly, dosa, white rice and ragi kali also.
- More chutney recipes ==> kara chutney recipe | Beetroot chutney
- In this recipe we can add brinjal, it will increase the taste.
- Here I used Bangalore tomato you can also use nadu tomato the taste of chutney will be varied.